Miss Lori wants you to hydrate your way to better health

I know you are all intelligent folks who are concerned about your health, if not for yourself but for your family. But I am willing to bet that you are not doing the one thing that could make a huge difference in your success. I am guessing your are not hydrating enough. Don’t worry, you are not alone. Most people, particularly children, are at least mildly dehydrated these days. One of the big problems is we can’t rely on our “thirst” to clue us in. Truthfully once your mouth goes dry and you really feel parched, you are way gone. No, you need to get those fluids into you long before your tongue gets furry. Whether you are on a Mamavation journey towards better health, or just living one day at a time, you should be filling your bellies with fluids. In an article on Athleteinme.com I feel they have really put into perspective the fluid requirements for adults

For healthy sedentary adults living in temperate climates:

  • Men: 125 oz (3.7 liters) of water per day from all dietary sources
  • Women: 91 oz (2.7 liters) of water per day from all dietary sources

Even though foods supply 20% of our daily fluid intake, stop for a minute and think about how much that remaining 80% really is. The requirement for men is roughly 3 quarts per day. How many of you men out there drink this much water every single day? For women, the requirement is over 2 quarts per day. Do you drink that much? If you are like most adults, you are in a state of mild dehydration

Still confused? Let me give you some perspective. Basically what this means is that you need to drink:

  • As a man, 1 Short and 6 Venti size drinks
  • As a woman, 5 Grandes and 1 Tall drink

Now just because I am using Starbucks vernacular doesn’t mean that all of your drinks can be Chai Latte’s. No, your fluids should be non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated, low in sugar, and nearly completely lacking in artificial sugar. Water is great, but so is milk! (We all could use the calcium.)

YouTube Preview Image

It can be hard to remember for adults alone, I know. That’s why for kids I have made healthy interstitials, currently airing on WTTW PBS Kids Chicago, to impress upon them the need for fluids.

YouTube Preview Image

I practice what I preach with my own children as well. Especially since my three children are all very active in sports. It’s easy for them to get so absorbed in their activities that they forget to hydrate. So, I am always ready on the sidelines with my cooler bag to fortify them with snacks, and most especially drinks.

YouTube Preview Image

But whether you running sports plays or are just walking through life, fluids are incredibly important. What have you had to drink today? Time to HYDRATE!

SMILE On!

ML

This is a:

*Level 13 The product or service mentioned was bought and paid for with Miss Lori’s own hard earned money that she doesn’t have a lot of, and thus doesn’t like to part with, so it must have been important.

Miss Lori can be found Musing from her Minivan at MissLori.TV , Wearetherealdeal.com , YoungChicagonista , ChicagoMomsBlog , and ChicagoMoms.com. You can also see her Activating to Be Great at Miss Lori’s CAMPUS on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

 

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

  1. Awesome Post and reminder!  At our house, the kids know that they can have 1 small juice a day and the rest of the time it’s either water or milk.  I think I’m going to get them water bottles though so that they can keep better track of their water :)  AWESOME!

  2. Heading to drink a glass of water right now! Thanks for the reminder. :)

  3. Interesting and a great reminder! I’m going to go fill my water bottle right now. 

  4. Mnmspecial says:

    I had no idea that the 8 glasses of water was at the low way low end. Thanks for some eur opening info.

Speak Your Mind