Miss Lori lists five alternatives to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for your donations

On Tuesday January 31st a tweet passed through my Twitter stream. That single tweet led me to an article that, no kidding, rocked me to my core. Marie Diamond posted an article on ThinkProgress.org entitled:

Nation’s Largest Cancer Charity Caves To Right Wing Pressure, Ends Relationship With Planned Parenthood

I was very pleased to see swift and intense reactions of dissent from people in the social media sphere. It was soothing to know that so many were feeling just as mortified as I was. It restored some of my faith, and helped to right my World back on its’ axis again. Instantly influencers were pledging to transfer their donations from the Susan G. Komen Foundation and invest them in Planned Parenthood. Definitely welcome news to Planned Parenthood and all of the women who depend on their gynecological services. But what about Breast Cancer Research? That still needs funding. Would potential donors have to swallow their disgust with the Komen Foundations’ decision to deny lower income women free mammograms just to keep momentum up in the race for the cure?The answer thankfully is NO, not at all. Komen isn’t the only runner in this race. You have many choices for your donations that will pack just as much power in their stride. Below is my list of five such organizations.

1. National Breast Cancer Foundation

The National Breast Cancer Foundation’s mission is to save lives through early detection and to provide mammograms for those in need. Our mission includes increasing awareness through education, providing diagnostic breast care services for those in need, and providing nurturing support services.

2. Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation

The Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation (LSCRF) is one of the nation’s leading breast cancer research and education charities. It was founded in 1985 in memory of Lynn Sage, a Chicago-area woman who endured a six-year struggle with breast cancer with her spirit and dignity intact before she died at the age of 39. Our mission is to support the understanding, research and treatment of breast cancer in partnership with Chicago’s Northwestern Memorial Hospital and the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University.

3. Dr Susan Love Research Foundation

The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation works to eradicate breast cancer and improve the quality of women’s health through innovative research, education, and advocacy. Learn about our programs. Find out how you can support the Foundation and the groundbreaking research that will end breast cancer in our lifetime.

4. Avon Foundation for Women

The Avon Foundation has been improving and saving women’s lives since it was founded in 1955, and we are proud to be the largest corporate philanthropy dedicated to women’s causes globally.  Today our mission is focused on breast cancer and domestic violence, as well as emergency and disaster relief, touching lives across the country and around the world.  Through 2011, Avon global philanthropy has raised and donated more than $860 million worldwide.

5. A Silver Lining Foundation

Founded in 2002, the mission of A Silver Lining Foundation is a labor of love and committment to medically underserved individuals. In five short years we have raised over $2,000,000 in monetary and equipment donations. Through the Chicagoland Cancer Information Coalition, our cancer resource and informational program, we can provide access and support to individuals both locally and across the country through our participating organizations. Closer to home our Community Outreach Health Fairs offer multiple free health tests, educational information and seminars. And through our partnership with 311, Chicago’s City Services Hotline, callers with cancer related questions and concerns are referred directly to us. This service is the only of its kind in a major metropolitan area.

This list is by no means complete so please feel free to leave a comment and link to any others that you would like to bring attention to. TOGETHER we will make a cure for breast cancer a real expectation for ALL women and not just a chosen few.

SMILE On!

ML

Miss Lori can be found Musing from her Minivan at MissLori.TV , Wearetherealdeal.com , YoungChicagonista ,ChicagoMomsBlog , and ChicagoMoms.com. You can also see her Activating to Be Great at Miss Lori’s CAMPUS on YoutubeFacebookTwitter and LinkedIn.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

1. Tatarsky says:

wow, you are TOTALLY misinformed….

2. Cher says:

I totally missed this…glad you shared!

3. Moststylish1 says:

Am posting your list on my FB page. Many of my friends have asked where they can go now. Thank you so much for the research. BTW I read Dr. Love’s Breast Book when I had cancer, and it was very helpful to me both factually and emotionally. I highly recommend it for all women interested their health.

4. Miss Lori says:

Dear @Martinezo77 I appreciate you taking the time to read a bit of my blog, including my bio. I do have a passion for children and their families, but I strongly disagree with you that my support of Planned Parenthood in any way compromises that passion, or renders it disingenuous in the slightest. As I am sure you can imagine, I don’t agree with your characterization of Planned Parenthood and the services that they offer. I personally have received gynecological services there as a young woman. I know first hand what a vital resource they are for so many in this country, particularly in a time when millions don’t have jobs or health insurance to take care of even the most basic of needs. Despite our clearly opposing views, I am so glad we live in a country where we are both able to have and express our own opinions freely. It’s all about respectful discourse.

SMILE On!

ML

5. Miss Lori says:

So glad to be of help James. Thanks for your help getting the word out.

SMILE!

ML

6. Miss Lori says:

Thanks for the heads up about the Noreen Fraser Foundation. So many hard working organizations out there that deserve our attention and support.

SMILE!

ML

7. Miss Lori says:

The one good thing that has come of this unfortunate situation is the community rally of support. Thank you for stepping up.

SMILE!

ML

8. Miss Lori says:

I’m glad you found the list helpful Ilina. Thanks for sharing it.

SMILE!

ML

9. Miss Lori says:

I’m so proud of you! Good luck with the walk. Go TWAM ONE MORE MILE!!!!

SMILE!

ML

10. Martinezo77 says:

Your bio speaks of your passion for children, yet you seemed upset (though likely happy today since they reversed themselves) that PP was being defunded. What gives? The money given for breast screenings (not mammograms since PP doesn’t do them) only frees up other funds for PP to do the more than 400,000 abortions annually that they report. Planned P’hood is a Brave New World organization specializing in controlling populations they consider inferior and costly. Racist and malevolent. Not exactly friendly to kiddos, especially those growing in their mommy’s womb. We are a beastly society and we don’t even see it because we couch in the language of compassion. Shame on us.

11. James says:

Thanks for the list. My girlfriend was talking about alternatives – I’ll pass this along!

12. Guest says:

Wonderful list. I know that the Noreen Fraser Foundation supports women’s cancer research and provides funding to groundbreaking translational research. Thank you for posting! noreenfraserfoundation.org

13. Thanks – shared on FB & Twitter. I’m also shifting some support to Planned Parenthood as well.

14. Ilina Ewen says:

Thanks for posting this list. I’ve shared it with others.

15. megryansmom m says:

I’m walking in the Avon Walk along with 2 survivors!  No donation is too small.  Please support Team One More Mile